MORE SCHOOLS FOR WYNDHAM – GIVE OUR KIDS A FAIR GO
Sign our petition now to ask the Victorian Government to support Schools4Wyndham.
The Victorian Government isn’t investing enough in Wyndham’s schools to keep up with our growing community’s needs.
The schools that Wyndham does have are bursting at the seams, with the highest number of students per government school in the whole of Victoria. Growing demand has created overcrowded conditions and made it harder for our kids to play outside.
The Victoria Government is responsible for planning and providing government schools. This includes:
- choosing the location of schools
- deciding when those schools will be built
- coordinating the design and construction of schools.
And unless the Victorian Government acts now, Wyndham’s schools shortage will only get worse as our city grows. Plans for new housing in Wyndham isn’t supported by enough sites for new schools.
Every week, 100 babies are born to Wyndham families. Our population of 300,000 continues to grow rapidly and is projected to reach 500,000 people by 2040.
That’s why we’re calling on the Minister for Education to:
- Immediately invest in new schools for Wyndham to support our local kids, including new schools and school sites in Tarneit, Werribee, Mambourin, Williams Landing and Point Cook.
- Continue upgrades to our existing government schools that are under increasing enrolment pressure.
- Make it easier for kids to attend school, including planning enough places for our students with disabilities, limiting the use of relocatable/portable classrooms and ensuring sites are allocated for schools.
- Set a new target for the number of new schools to be built state-wide by 2031, and
- Deliver a comprehensive School Provision Plan for Wyndham to ensure we’re prepared for the future and planning for future growth.
Children in Wyndham deserve fair and equitable access to education, like other children across the state.
Sign our petition to ask Minister Merlino to build new schools immediately and develop a comprehensive, long-term schools provision plan to support our kids and families in Melbourne’s west.